Benneydale School

Benneydale School

School Docs - Our Anti-Bullying policy

Bullying is a form of harassment, and usually refers to intimidatory behaviour between school students, but may involve staff. If the bullying involves staff and students, the Harassment procedure is followed.

Bullying is deliberate, harmful behaviour that is often repeated, or continues over a period of time. It often involves a power imbalance and it is difficult for those being bullied to defend themselves. Bullying takes place in the digital world too, through cyberbullying and texting.

All members of the school, including students themselves, have a responsibility to recognise bullying and to take action when they are aware of it happening. Bullying behaviour can be overt (directly and easily observed) or covert ( indirect and hidden or less easily observed). A great deal of bullying is covert with bullying behaviour rarely occurring in front of adults. If students are being bullied, they need to feel supported and know what to do.

Examples of bullying behaviours include:

• physical, e.g. hitting, kicking, taking belongings
  • verbal, e.g. name calling; insults; racist, sexist, sexuality and gender-based bullying
  • social/relational, e.g. spreading nasty stories, excluding from groups, making threats, standover tactics
  • cyberbullying, e.g. posting negative comments on social media, publishing or sending inappropriate messages or images
  • digital, e.g. sending mean or intimidating texts

To effectively prevent and respond to bullying behaviour at Benneydale School we:

• create a safe, inclusive, and respectful environment
  • promote digital citizenship to our students
  • identify and acknowledge bullying/intimidating behaviour and do not tolerate it

This includes cyberbullying, and gender-based bullying.

• deal with incidents of bullying through the school's Behaviour Management plan.

Bullying is often a complex matter and we take it very seriously. We often find that the first place students mention bullying is at home. It is important not to assume that your child has told anyone at school and to contact or make an appointment to see your child’s teacher. Please note mutual arguments between peers is not defined as bullying.  

It is important that you make contact with your child’s teacher so they can investigate and report the facts to all those involved. It is critical that we are informed of any minor incidents before they escalate into bigger ones. If there is an incident that occurs in the weekend or after school we would like to be informed, however, in such incidents we advise you make contact with the parents and whanau of those students that may be involved as soon as possible rather than leaving or ignoring it.

Akongia mo apopo
- Learn for tomorrow -